LIGHTNING POLICY The safety of players and participants is of utmost importance. Soccer fields can be a dangerous place during severe weather. • You are in danger if you can see lightning. • You are in danger from lightning if you can hear thunder. • Lightning often travels sideways as far as 10 miles and can strike
away from any rainfall even when skies are blue.
In event of a storm, games and/or practices must be stopped and suspended
until the danger has passed using the following minimum criteria:
(1) The sighting of a lightning flash or the hearing of the sound of thunder
shall be reason enough to immediately stop and suspend a game or a
• Do not wait until it rains
• Do not try to reach the end of a period or the end of a game.
(2) Coaches shall take their players to a safe location upon suspension of a
game and/or a practice session;
(3) Following suspension of a game, the referees shall promptly leave the
field to a safe location;
(4) Play and/or practice shall not be resumed prior to 30-minutes after the
last sighting of lightning or the last sound of thunder heard.